Pages

Monday, October 27, 2014

[Review] Mortal Danger by Ann Aguire

Title: Mortal Danger
Author: Ann Aguirre
Series: The Immortal Game #01
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Published: August 5, 2014
ISBN: 978-1-250-02464-0
Format: Ebook
Pages: 288

Revenge is a dish best served cold.

In Ann Aguirre's Mortal Danger, Edie Kramer has a score to settle with the beautiful people at Blackbriar Academy. Their cruelty drove her to the brink of despair, and four months ago, she couldn’t imagine being strong enough to face her senior year. But thanks to a Faustian compact with the enigmatic Kian, she has the power to make the bullies pay. She’s not supposed to think about Kian once the deal is done, but devastating pain burns behind his unearthly beauty, and he’s impossible to forget.

In one short summer, her entire life changes and she sweeps through Blackbriar, prepped to take the beautiful people down from the inside. A whisper here, a look there, and suddenly . . . bad things are happening. It’s a head rush, seeing her tormentors get what they deserve, but things that seem too good to be true usually are, and soon, the pranks and payback turns from delicious to deadly. Edie is alone in a world teeming with secrets and fiends lurking in the shadows. In this murky morass of devil’s bargains, she isn't sure who—or what—she can trust. Not even her own mind.

---

Reach her break point, Edie came to the bridge. Just a second before she jumped, a tall, gorgeous man stopped her. Offering her something she couldn't have imagined in her whole life. She was offered three favors, whatever that is, and after those favors burned, she owed the company other favors she had to accomplish. Determined to get her revenge, she accepted the term -though she still curious about the whole point-.

The new term began, and Edie, with her new look would begin her revenge as well. But the circumstances changed. Kian, the one who offered the bargain, was told to make Edie burned her favors as soon as possible. This made Edie more curious to find out who the hell Kian worked for. But that was the least she had to worry, after the new term began, or after Edie’s bargain made, something frightening began to show their faces.

One by one people, died. And one by one creature she didn't know existed before started to stalk her. She was afraid, but she didn't want to depend on Kian more. She had to face this alone, but this is just too much for a single human could take. Especially after what she learned about her new life, and their games, while she played the chess’ piece role.

---
”If you call some things, they will come. And then they don’t leave"
You could say this book brings the urban legends alive. And I’d be lying if I said I’m not afraid to watch my reflection in front of my mirror right now. Even though I never chant any bloody marry spell or even have mirrors in my bathroom, I’m still afraid to stay in the house alone without radio blast in it. So that tells you how much of a coward I am, and if I was in Edie’s shoes, I’d prefer to stay close to Kian twenty four seven. So I really admire her to stay calm in that situation, thinking straight while I probably stay in the corner of my room, shaking, or wish to be unconscious until they're all gone.
Careful what you wished for, for that actually happen.
I’ve never expected this book to be this creepy, a little dark sure, but not this. So I was surprised when I reached the second half of this book. I got goosebumps and I didn't want to read this in my room alone. I already told you how cowardice I am so we'll skip that part.

I really think this book was all about Edie’s revenge, but not. Somebody behind the scenes already did that. So that leaves this book to reveal the other side of the light.

Anyway, I like this book, so unpredictable. And I like Edie, she is brave, smart, and beautiful in her own way (before the first wish granted). And Kian wasn't a guy we usually found in a YA book. He was an awkward handsome boyfriend. And it's pretty cute.

Other people said that this book is boring, but I never find it that way. The first half wasn't too interesting, true, but it's not that boring either. So I guess people have different taste?

But what makes me disappointed was how shallow this book is. It's just like they tell you, literally, that you have to be beautiful, so they could see you as a person. Then what about me? Or other people that they call ugly? It's not like we'll get a three wishes to make ourselves beautiful without any side effect.
”I am afraid.” “Of what?” “Having you. Losing you"
“What do you want?” I asked. “Your life.”
“It’s tough not knowing who your true friends are,”
"Once the bad spirits woke up and the dying started, it didn’t stop until they took three souls.”
"They seem completely human, but tragedy, discord, and despair follows in their wake."
“Your death is already written. But you cheated, pretty-girl skin. Now you’re a hole in the world, and you let other people fall in your stead"
"I never had shit like this until I started hanging around with you."
“Kian! For the last time, what did you promise? And to who?”


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...