Pages

Wednesday, September 23, 2015

[Review] The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11408650-the-unbecoming-of-mara-dyer
Title: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer
Author: Michelle Hodkin
Series: Mara Dyer #1
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books
Published: September 2011
ISBN: 9781442421769
Pages: 452




Mara Dyer doesn't think life can get any stranger than waking in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.
It can.
She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.
There is.
She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love.
She's wrong.


The ornate script on the board twisted in the candlelight, making the letters and numbers dance in my head.

Aaaand we're back to square one. Seriously after everything that happened Hodkin just trew us away with SUCH AN ENDING! DAMIT! And she didn't even answer my questions!

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer is a good book, but left me with no question answered which is unnerving. I mean, frankly speaking, she should just blandly tell us the cause of all that. Because you know, Mara didn't just go from normal girl to the girl she is now without any reason. And that Ouija Board at the beginning didn't really answer my questions. Especially about Noah. Or about the preface.

Thinking something does not make it true. Wanting something does not make it real.

For the first time in my life, I didn't fall for an English accent instantly. I used to imagine the way those accent guy speaking through Freddie Stroma's speaking but Noah just didn't do me, but I do like him because he's a sweeeeeet guy. And I don't really understand Mara's obsession about him, I don't know, it was just too fast.

And because of this book too that I FINALLY acknowledge the lack of parrents in YA books. I mean, I usually just think that because the main character always wandering or sneaking out that we never got to see their parrents, but this book brings no-parrents-in-YA rule to another level.

“It can’t be the police. It can’t be your parents. It has to be us.”
Me: uh uh

And if I have to make a list about the best school in the world to the worst, Croyden would be at the bottom of a bottom of a bottom in the list. Really. Jackson High would be like heaven. They expelled a person in a matter of minutes! Woo, well played Croyden, very well played.

"There," he said as he finished tying the laces on my left shoe. "Now you won't fall"
Too late.

But despite my cranky blabering, Michelle Hodkin delivered this book really beautifully. It's like watching the world collided with a spiritual dimension and sometimes I got goosebumps. And I hated it when Mara was left alone, it freaked ME out. Also Noah is really sweet, despite her breakdown or her freaky side, he just stayed by her side. If Noah could be pre-ordered from heaven, count me in.

Today. Tonight. Tomorrow. Forever.

The thing is, I like this book, but I am upset because I'm confused. So if you will excuse me, I'm going to find the answers in the second book now. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...