Pages

Monday, November 3, 2014

[Review] Wake by Amanda Hocking

Title: Wake
Author: Amanda Hocking
Series: The Watersong #01
Publisher: TOR
Published: August, 2012
ISBN13: 9781447205722
Pages: 309 

Beautiful. Fearless. Dangerous. 
The kind of girls you envy. The kind of girls you wanted to hate.

Strangers in town for the summer, Penn, Thea, and Lexi have caught everyone's attention, including the eye of practical Harper. But it's her sister they've chosen. Sixteen-year-old Gemma seems to have it all - carefree, pretty and falling in love with the boy next door. But her greatest passion is the water. She craves solitary late-night swims under the stars, where she can belong to the sea. But lately she’s had company.

Penn, Thea, and Lexi spend their nights dancing and partying on the cove, and one night Gemma joins them. She wakes, groggy, on the beach the next morning and knows something has changed. Suddenly Gemma is stronger, faster, and more beautiful than ever. And as she discovers her new mythical powers, Gemma is forced to choose between staying with those she loves - or entering a dark world brimming with unimaginable secrets.

---

Well, it's kinda hard to review this since there aren't many to tell really. And even if there are some, that could be a spoiler. So, umm... this is not a book that leaves me in awe after finished reading it, since it ended with declare of revenge. But well, I don't not like this book, either. I like it, but I still get this weird frown on my face as in now.

There are some things off, I just don't know what. It just doesn't feel quite right. This whole thing. Like when Daniel didn't seem hypnotized by any of their spells. Or their history itself. Like when they told Gemma the beginning of those, I can't seem to get the other people in the story involved in the story. Like it forced its way into the story. Something like that, I think.

But aside from those, I like the rest. When Gemma and Alex started going out or when Daniel obviously flirting with Harper. How Harper looking out for Gemma after their mother sick is like any other older sister you would easily find in another book, but nice all the same. And Gemma’s passion of swimming is amazing. Too bad we could hardly see those hard work once she changed.

I like their family too, and the only family I know here just Gemma’s. Their dad was so sweet to look out for his daughters around boys. And even though I understand why Brian couldn't see his wife anymore, it’s still sad me. Gemma’s love for their mother, and Natalie’s genuine trust of her daughters are the good points too. And I like the two sister's ways to tell this same story. I'll probably guess that the second book will be Harper’s book. Not that Wake is Gemma’s book, but I just feel like in the second book Harper will stand out more.

And it's not a boring book, though it's still confusing. To me, at least. And no matter how much this first book gave away its main story of the series, I still couldn't get an idea what might be the real goal of these creatures except surviving. I mean, that's the basic need of all living things, right? Survive. So I just can't blame them so much for the bad things they did. Well, what they did was wrong, but they didn't have any choice but to die, and that's a pretty limited choice they have, don't you think.

And if what they’re going through is a curse, have any of them tried to find a way out?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...