Pages

Monday, December 1, 2014

[Review] Attachment by Rainbow Rowell

Title : Attachment
Author : Rainbow Rowell
Publisher : Dutton Adult
Published : January 2011
ISBN : 9780525951988
Pages : 323

"Hi, I'm the guy who reads your e-mail, and also, I love you . . . "

Beth Fremont and Jennifer Scribner-Snyder know that somebody is monitoring their work e-mail. (Everybody in the newsroom knows. It's company policy.) But they can't quite bring themselves to take it seriously. They go on sending each other endless and endlessly hilarious e-mails, discussing every aspect of their personal lives.

Meanwhile, Lincoln O'Neill can't believe this is his job now- reading other people's e-mail. When he applied to be "internet security officer," he pictured himself building firewalls and crushing hackers- not writing up a report every time a sports reporter forwards a dirty joke.

When Lincoln comes across Beth's and Jennifer's messages, he knows he should turn them in. But he can't help being entertained-and captivated-by their stories.

By the time Lincoln realizes he's falling for Beth, it's way too late to introduce himself.

What would he say . . . ?

---

If I were Lincoln, I probably would read their emails too. I mean, wow, they practically only talk in emails. I even doubt that they actually talk to each other. And I really don't think there are people who write their story so detail like them in emails. Or even telling each other stories like those in emails. You get what I mean?

Anyway, apart from the I-don't-think things, Beth and Jennifer are funny. Beth is a woman who has an extremely-gorgeous-but-lousy-and-sometime-romantic boyfriend and Jennifer is a pregnancy-fear complex woman. They are telling each other about everything, there are no secrets between them, and Lincoln. Because that's what Lincoln did, reading somebody else's emails.

Even though we only read about Beth and Jennifer through their emails, it still felt like they were the one who told this story. And Lincoln, I like Lincoln. He is a shy-cute-manly man. He still lived with his mother after he got out of college, which got on Eve(his sister)'s nerves. Eve and her mother never really on a friendly basis, that was because their mother wanted to spoil them both forever, but Eve thought that it's time to let them walk on their own. Live their own lives.

I really want to tell you all about the characters, there was no one left out. Lincoln, his mother, Eve, his nephews, and his friend, Justin, Dena, Christina, Dave, The D&D friends, Doris, or Beth and Chris, her sister, her mother, or Jennifer, and Mitch, and her mother, and the baby on the way. We knew them all.

They each had their own love stories. Beth with Chris. Jennifer with Mitch. And Lincoln with Sam. And I really like them. Even though there were some stories that not end well, but they were all a cute meet-cute and romantic.

Did I mention that Lincoln is a romantic guy? Yes, he is shy, but he is the most romantic guy I've ever read aside from Calvin Morrissey in Bet Me. And you know what? I'd do anything to meet guys like Lincoln.

Anyway, reading someone-you-like's emails will become complicated once you come clean with her, you know, so try to avoid that. It's like "I used to peek at you every time I have a chance". Because like I said, Beth and Jennifer told everything in their email, every secret, everything. So it's somewhat creepy.

And I do believe, Lincoln fall in love with Beth is partly because he knew that Beth isn't married.

“Every woman wants a man who'll fall in love with her soul as well as her body.”
“There are moments when you can't believe something wonderful is happening. And there are moments when your entire consciousness is filled with knowing absolutely that something wonderful is happening.” 
“I’d know you in the dark,” he said. “From a thousand miles away. There’s nothing you could become that I haven’t already fallen in love with.” 
“I want someone whose heart is big enough to hold me.” 
“Things get better — hurt less — over time. If you let them.”
“Do you feel like he ignores you?" "No. I feel like he doesn't see me.” 
“Wasn’t hitting bottom the thing you had to do to knock some sense into yourself? Wasn’t hitting bottom the thing that showed you which way was up?” 
“Do you believe in love at first sight?" "I don't know," he said. "Do you believe in love before that?” 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...