Pages

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

[Review] Cress by Marissa Meyer

Title: Cress
Author: Marissa Meyer (Goodreads Author)
Series: The Lunar Chronicles #3
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Published: February 2014
ISBN: 9780312642976
Pages: 550



In this third book of the Lunar Chronicles, Cinder and Captain Thorne are fugitives on the run, now with Scarlet and Wolf in tow. Together, they’re plotting to overthrow Queen Levana and her army.

Their best hope lies with Cress, a girl imprisoned on a satellite since childhood who's only ever had her netscreens as company. All that screen time has made Cress an excellent hacker. Unfortunately, she’s just received orders from Levana to track down Cinder and her handsome accomplice.

When a daring rescue of Cress goes awry, the group is separated. Cress finally has her freedom, but it comes at a high price. Meanwhile, Queen Levana will let nothing prevent her marriage to Emperor Kai. Cress, Scarlet, and Cinder may not have signed up to save the world, but they may be the only hope the world has.




I am hungover.

I freaking love this series, but now I have to wait for almost a year for the fourth book to come out and it just kills me! Man! This is exactly why I usually wait until all the book in the series come out before reading them. I hate waiting!

Sigh.

Anyhow, the half third book or the third half book, Fairest, will come out soon, I guess next month, I forget. And I suspect it will be about Princess Winter or Queen's mirror (I saw the cover). Like "Mirror, mirror in the wall". Maybe a mirror in Luna is a lot different than just mirror without reflection, maybe it has magic in it. After all, the fourth book will be based on Snow White. "Mirror, mirror in the wall".

But hey, it's a Cress' review, we should talk about Cress instead. So Cress is based on Rapunzel, in case you haven't realized it on the cover -the girl has a really long braid-. And Cress was what you probably would think as a Drama Queen. She always pictures herself, in every situation, as an actress. I know she did that so it would look less scary or less pressured in more than a few occasions, but still, it was a bit weird.

And guess who's the Prince Charming? Thorne. Captain Carswell Thorne.

I know, Thorne is charming in his own way, but he is ridiculous, and it's just, I don't know, weird thinking of him as a Prince.

And I don't really know about Rapunzel beside that she has a long hair (check), the Prince came to her tower (check), and she was taken from her father (check). What happen after the Prince went inside the tower by climbing her hair (I still can't believe she didn't have a headache after that) was a mystery to me, not even Barbie and the Magic Brush can fill the mystery. So I can't really compare Cress with the original Rapunzel story. But I still like it.

It showed that Thorne could be a gentleman too, not that he wasn't a gentleman before, I mean more manly, he was manly before too come to think of it. Err, what would you call it when you expect a guy to be funny, but weak and turned out that he's not like that? Weak, that is. He was more selfless that I thought, and I really feel sorry for him about his current condition (he's not dead) though I'm still not sure it really can happen.

And Argh!!! Stupid, stupid Prince Kai! You already knew right, that in Scarlet, Kai finally announced his engagement with Queen Levana, after the attack that killed 16.000 people on earth? So, Cinder and her allies, tried to call off the wedding. How? By raising your hand when the Priest said his words? Ha, they will be dead even before they reached the gate. That's why they needed a more clever strategy. And Dr.Erland said that they must dethrone Levana on Luna, not Earth. Coming to a country you never know and announce yourself as a true Queen? And not before you cancel the Royal wedding where your crush and the most greedy & dangerous Queen -who has loads of monster army- ever exist will get married? Sure, no pressure at all, Cinder.

And to make matter worse, they were separated. They intended to rescue Cress, but Sybil -I think her name sounds evil too- found out and interfered. Then the story just went on and on. And we finally met Princess Winter. She is beautiful like snow white and she is loved by animals and now I'm wondering who'll be the dwarfs.

Actually, what makes me hungover is the fact that Meyer shows only a little romance between Cinder and Kai and that's mostly what makes me frustated. I'm sorry, it's just, ahhhh why so little romance Meyer? Give me more!!!

"Do you think it was destiny that brought us together?"
He squinted and, after a thoughtful moment, shook his head. "No. I'm pretty sure it was Cinder.”
“I promise, I will not let you die without being kissed.” 
“Iko. My name is Iko. If you don’t stop calling me the ‘ship,’ I am going to make sure you never have hot water during your showers again, do you understand me?”
“Yeah, hold that thought while I go disable the speaker system.”
“What? You can’t mute me. Cinder!”

And you know what I like most about this book? Because they get together, they become friends and started teasing each other, and it's funny. And of course because funny is Thorne's middle name.
He leaned forward to inspect her closer. "Is that all hair?"

1 comment:

  1. Hi! My 3 themes (now with colour levels!) start their second year in February. I don't disappear after posting a sign-up button. I award prizes, mingle with my guests... Please have a look. :) Happy 2015 from central Canada! https://cmriedel.wordpress.com/riedel-challenges-2015/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...