Pages

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

[Review] Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell


Tittle : Fangirl
Author : Rainbow Rowell
Publisher : Macmillan Children's Book
Published : January 2014
Pages : 448 pages
ISBN : 9781447263227
Price : $12.01 (The Book Depository)

Cath is a Simon Snow fan.

Okay, the whole world is a Simon Snow fan...

But for Cath, being a fan is her life - and she's really good at it. She and her twin sister,  Wren, ensconced themselves in Simon Snow series when they were just kids. It's what got them through their mother leaving.
Reading. Rereading. Hanging out in Simon Snow forums, writing Simon Snow fan fiction, dressing up like the characters for every movie premiere.

Cath's sister has mostly grown away from fandom, but Cath can't let go. She doesn't want to.
Now that they’re going to college, Wren has told Cath she doesn't want to be roommates’. Cath is on her own, completely outside of her comfort zone. She's got a surly roommate with a charming, always-around boyfriend, a fiction-writing professor who thinks fan fiction is the end of civilized world, a handsome classmate who only wants to talk about words... And she can't stop 
worrying about her dad, who's loving and fragile and has never really been alone.

For Cath, the question is : Can she do this?

Can she make it without Wren holding her hand? Is she ready to start living her own life? Writing her own stories?

And does she even want to move on if it means leaving Simon Snow behind?

---

That summarized everything in this book really; i don't know what I should add anymore.

Let's just begin with 'I don't know any Simon Snow’s book'. Yep, I’m a freak. I really don't know there are series with story like Harry Potter but with a vampire too. How could i miss this?

I am not into fantasies, but i love magic movies. Witches. And Spell. That's just my fantasy.
Okay, moved on my unknowlege-Simon-Snow-Thing.

Have you guys ever read fan fiction? Any kind of fan fiction? Because I have. Once. I live in a world that full of Korean / Japanese fan. And they (re: my friend) love fan fiction. Even though it made their idol gay (they even especially love that part, they said it's better than imagine he got a girlfriend). So, I read fan fiction once. About manga, actually. The one without romance but I desperately wanted it to have romance. So I googled it, and one short story came up. I read it, and I am disappointed. That didn't sound like them at all. Just different. So I never read any after that.

So. That's just fanfic and me story.

But what about the BTS in fanfic world? Have you ever thought about it? About the fanfic's author world. How they see their story. And how they see the world that is totally different from their own.
Rowell's Fangirl is about that. The Behind The Scene. This one is about Chater Avery, or in infamous name, Magicath.

Cather Avery is a twin for Wren Avery. They're unseperatable. But one day, when they're just about to turn a roommate form, Wren said she doesn't want to be Cath's roommate. How so? She said "it's college. It's supposed to be an adventure." So the upset Cath just go to her new room without knowing her roommate at all but her name. But strangely enough, she found a boy instead.

This was a mistake-this had to be a mistake. She knew that Pound was a co-ed dorm.... Is there such a thing as co-ed rooms?

Meet Levi. Her roommate's boyfriend. Or so she thought. Levi is a kind of sales guy only without something to sell. He's someone that has enough supplies of smiles that he doesn't have to worry it'll be running out. Someone that has to make sure there aren't anyone feel left out.

"I think there's a baby in the corner you forgot to kiss," Cath said to him.

And Reagan. A cold girl. Sinister. Meany. But she can care much about someone sometimes. Cath's roommate by the way.

"I'm a pretty good friend, but i'm a shitty girlfriend."

Twins, no matter how much they have similarities. But they're also different. Like totally different. Their personalities. Their likes. And so and so. In this book. The twin is a sociable and unsociable one. Wren is the sociable one. Wren is always chatty, she always knows people. 
Meanwhile, Cath doesn't like talking to other people. She doesn't like anything in particular except Simon & Baz.

What was Cath supposed to say, Stop talking to me? It's not like she was Reagan.

Cath, the opposite one of Wren, or even the more opposite one of Levi, alone in her world. Wren is somewhat moving farther away from her. Her father, who never answers her phone calls, keeps telling her that he's fine, in a call back at 3 a.m. Her professor says that her story is a plagiarism. And not to mention Laura, their mother who wants to meet them again.

Things got tense with Wren, Her professor, and even Levi. She even decided that she wanted to move back home. With her father. And leaving all Lincoln stuff behind.

---

I expected great things about this book. It's Rowells's. And I love Rowell's Eleanor & Park. But, I kind of disappointed? Just two knots below the expectation I guess. It's just a bit boring. Like if there is something more interesting, I’ll put this book down and open it up tomorrow or maybe the day after. And there is some of the conflict that is still yet solved. I wonder why.

I like the characters actually. She made them totally likeable and also hateable. I love Cath, Levi, Reagan, and even Nick sometimes. But that's just it. Like something's missing. Like I don't get the whole idea about this book except Simon and Baz and Cath's race with GTL.

Like she doesn't really wake up to the real world. Like she still in her own world.

And one thing about this book is the Simon Snow story. There are a lot capture of Simon Snow books and Magicath's fan fiction. I didn't really read them. I was afraid I’d get distracted. So, I still don't know about Simon Snow that is not mentioned in a dialogue.

I don't know what to say anymore. So, let's just get down to the rating.
I'll snow this book four lilies without butterflies. That makes it 3.5 stars.


My favorite character : Reagan

Quote : 
Just.. Isn’t giving up allowed sometimes? Isn’t okay to say "This really hurts so i’m going to stop trying" -Cather

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...