Pages

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

[Review] Where She Went by Gayle Gorman


It's been three years since Mia walked out of Adam's life.

And three years he's spent wondering why.

When their paths cross again in New York City, Adam and Mia are brought back together for one life-changing night.

Adam finally has the opportunity to ask Mia the questions that have been haunting him. But will a few hours in this magical city be enough to lay their past to rest, for good - or can you really have a second chance at first love?

---

“But still, I find the need to remind myself of the temporariness of a day, to reassure myself that I got through yesterday, I'll get through today.”

I never know i’d like this book so much. Terutama dengan Adam yang bernarasi. Saya dulu mikir kalau melihat seorang wanita dari kaca mata pria itu aneh. Dan saya masih berpikir seperti itu sampai chapter pertama Where She Went selesai saya baca.

Adam yang kini memulai harinya dengan meyakinkan dirinya sendiri bahwa dia pasti bisa melalui harinya seperti biasa. Adam yang masih bingung kenapa Mia tiba-tiba memutuskan meninggalkannya, tanpa sepatah katapun. Adam yang selalu dibilang masih dihantui sosok Mia dalam hidupnya.

Ketika tur selama 67 harinya mulai menggangu akal sehat Adam. Ia memutuskan tetap tinggal di New York selama satu hari sebelum terbang ke Inggris.

" Just go be free.” Aldous said

Jadi daripada menghabiskan malam terakhir kebebasannya di kamar hotel sendirian, Adam keluar dan berjalan di padatnya trotoar New York. Saat itulah dia melihat poster resital Mia.

" And before I know what I’m doing, before I can argue myself out of it, rationalize what a terrible idea this is, I’m walking toward the box office."

“I don’t want to be that person, who just takes things"

“Because I hated you.” “Hated me? Why?” “You made me stay."

“I get it now.
I have to make good on my promise. To let her go. To really let her go.
To let us both go.”

“It would’ve been easier to die."

"A day might just be twenty-four hours but sometimes getting through one seems as impossible as scaling Everest"

“You were so busy trying to be my savior that you left me all alone.” 

"I know that unlike that night, tonight I won’t kiss her. Or touch her. Or even see her up close. Tonight, I’ll listen. And that’ll be enough"

Dan bagian yang paling saya suka. Lirik lagu Shoothing Star.

I’ll be your mess, you be mine
That was the deal that we had signed
I bought a hazmat suit to clean up your waste
Gas masks, gloves, to keep us safe
But now I’m alone in an empty room
Staring down immaculate doom
“MESSY"

The clothes are packed off to Goodwill
I said my good-byes up on that hill
The house is empty, the furniture sold
Soon your smells will decay to mold
Don’t know why I bother calling, ain’t nobody answering
Don’t know why I bother singing, ain’t nobody listening
“DISCONNECT"

Barrel of the gun, rounds one two three
She says I have to pick: choose you, or choose me
Metal to the temple, the explosion is deafening
Lick the blood that covers me
She’s the last one standing
“ROULETTE”

You crossed the water, left me ashore
It killed me enough, but you wanted more
You blew up the bridge, a mad terrorist
Waved from your side, threw me a kiss
I started to follow but realized too late
There was nothing but air underneath my feet
"BRIDGE"

First you inspect me
Then you dissect me
Then you reject me
I wait for the day
That you’ll resurrect me
“ANIMATE”


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...