Pages

Friday, August 29, 2014

[Review] We Were Liars by E. Lockhart

Tittle : We Were Liars
Author : E. Lockhart
Publisher : Delacorte Press
Published : May 2014
Pages : 240
ISBN : 9780385741262
Price : $11.06 (Amazon)

A beautiful and distinguished family.
A private island.
A brilliant, damaged girl; a passionate, political boy.
A group of four friends—the Liars—whose friendship turns destructive.
A revolution. An accident. A secret.
Lies upon lies.
True love.
The truth.


We Were Liars is a modern, sophisticated suspense novel from National Book Award finalist and Printz Award honoree E. Lockhart.
Read it.
And if anyone asks you how it ends, just LIE.

---

I'm wrecked. My heart ached. Eyes swollen. And I can't breath.

I've never read such a book before. I've never read such a story before.

We Were Liars is about a beautiful family. The white, blond, tall, and beautiful family. The family that consist of Granddad, Gran, three beautiful daughters, and seven grandchildren. And one young man.

We Were Liars is told by the eldest grandchildren, Cadence Sinclair Eastman. Cady has six cousins, two of them are the same age as her, Johnathan Sinclair Dennis and Mirren Sinclair Sheffield. And there is a boy, a boy she fall in love with, Gatwick Matthew Patil.

Cadence, Johny, Mirren, and Gat. Gat, Johny, Mirren, and Cadence. They were Liars.

Every summer, The Liars met in Beechwood. They swam. They climbed. They played. But one summer, on summer fifteen, something happened. And it changed all.

At first, I thought We Were Liars would be just another contemporary book. At first I was confused, Sinclair was a big family, I didn't remember whose son he is or whose the eldest of all. At first I didn't think much about this book. At first I just wanted to end this book so I could start the others. But who knew it would crash me this much. I didn't really like how E. Lockhart tell the story, but I couldn't take my eyes away from it.

I really like the Once Upon A Time thing, the variations of another fairytale. So let me tell you my variation.

Once upon a time, there was a king and his queen. They lived in a huge palace in a rich country. The king had three beautiful daughters. The daughters had another beautiful children. The king’s daughters fought about jewelries, lands, golds. The children and their friend got tired hearing it. And one day, they decided to get rid of them all. To get rid of all the jewels, lands, and golds. But little they knew, their decision took away other things. Other things that they loved.

“Do not accept an evil you can change." 

“Be a little kinder than you have to.” 

“What if we could stop being different colors, different backgrounds, and just be in love?” 

“If you want to live where people are not afraid of mice, you must give up living in palaces.” 

“There is not even a Scrabble word for how bad I feel.” 

“Someone once wrote that a novel should deliver a series of small astonishments. I get the same thing spending an hour with you.” 

“She is sugar, curiosity, and rain.” 

“Be sad, be sorry-but don't shoulder it.” 

“Always do what you're afraid to do."

“He was contemplation and enthusiasm. Ambition and strong coffee.” 

“We are liars. We are beautiful and privileged. We are cracked and broken.” 

“He was a person who couldn't fake a smile but smiled often.” 

"He wants to make us think—even when we don’t feel like thinking.” 

“I'll be fine, they tell me. I won't die. It'll just hurt a lot.” 

“The island is ours. Here, in some way, we are young forever.” 

I supposed to lie about the ending. So I'm gonna say this instead, when you think you know, you actually don't know a thing.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...