Pages

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

[Review] If I Stay by Gayle Forman



Judul : If I Stay
Penulis : Gayle Forman
Penerbit : Penguin USA
Tanggal Terbit : April 2010
Jumlah Halaman : 201
No. ISBN : 9780142415436
Harga : $10,98 (The Book Depository)

Just listen, Adam says with a voice that sounds like shrapnel.
I open my eyes wide now.
I sit up as much as I can.
And I listen.
Stay, he says.

Choices. Seventeen-year-old Mia is faced with some tough ones: Stay true to her first love—music—even if it means losing her boyfriend and leaving her family and friends behind?
Then one February morning Mia goes for a drive with her family, and in an instant, everything changes. Suddenly, all the choices are gone, except one. And it's the only one that matters.

If I Stay is a heartachingly beautiful book about the power of love, the true meaning of family, and the choices we all make

---

"Sometimes you make choices in life and sometimes choices make you."

Pagi itu baik-baik saja, teramat baik malah. Salju yang turun di Oregon membuat Mia dan keluarganya mendapat hari libur yang tak terduga. Mereka akan memanfaatkan kesempatan ini untuk berkunjung ke rumah Henry dan Willow, sahabat orang tua Mia. Bethoven no. 3 sedang diputar saat itu terjadi.

Yang diingat Mia hanya lagu Bethoven yang masih terus berputar. Ia tidak ingat tentang truk atau hantaman saat ia berdiri di sana. Di tengah jalan memandang mobil keluarganya yang hancur tak berbentuk. Mia mencari keluarganya yang terlempar ke jalan. Mia mencari Teddy. Tapi saat menemukannya, yang dilihat Mia bukanlah Teddy. Tapi dirinya sendiri.

Am I dead?

Ketika ia dihadapkan pada pilihan, dua pilihan yang paling vital. Apa yang akan Mia pilih?

Will she life? Or leave?

---

Saya ngga sengaja melihat trailer movie buku ini sewaktu ngubek-ngubek booktube. Dan saya menitikan air mata menontonnya, padahal hanya trailer.

Jadi saya langsung hunting ebooknya buat dibaca sebelum filmnya keluar tanggal 22 Agustus nanti.
Bukunya memang tidak punya kick yang sama seperti trailernya. Everything seemed like went with the flow. But just like that. Kehidupan Mia berubah sepenuhnya.

Saya awalnya biasa saja dengan buku ini. Tidak ada tangisan. Just reading. Tapi ketika kakek Mia membisikan pesan ke telinga Mia. I lost it.

"I just wanted to tell you that I understand if you go. It's okay if you have to leave us. It's okay if you want to stop fighting."

Saya suka bagaimana Mia menflashback kehidupannya bersama teman-temannya, keluarganya. Bagaimana neneknya yang percaya pada malaikat. Sahabatnya Kim yang outrageous. Keluarga kecilnya yang damai dan menyenangkan. Dan Adam. Pria yang jatuh cinta padanya saat dia bermain cello.

“I’ve never seen anyone get as into music as you do. It’s why I like to watch you practice. You get the cutest crease in your forehead, right there,”

"I’m not sure this is a world I belong in anymore. I'm not sure that I want to wake up."

"But we’re all your family. You still have a family"

"Please, Mia," he implores. "Don't make me write a song.”

“I realize now that dying is easy. Living is hard.”

“Don't be scared...Women can handle the worst kind of pain. You'll find out one day."

"I can lose you like that, if I don’t lose you today. I’ll let you go. If you stay.”


---

Saya ngga sabar mau nonton filmya.

Trailer movienya ada di bawah sini. Let’s count down together!

Trailer #1

Trailer #2

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...